McClain Ozone Cold/Water Laundry Systems
In 2017, McClain began working with Clear Three, our United Kingdom Distributor, in the development of cold/water laundry systems using ozone. With Return-on Investment of 3 to 16 months, the use of ozone for laundering is a cost- effective boon to commercial facilities (i.e. Nursing Care Homes, Hotels, Hospitals, etc.) that rely on laundering for the health and safety of occupants.
Ozone/cold water systems are very effective at destroying/inactivating the common microbes found in laundry including. S. aureus, Ps. aeruginosa, Candida albicans, E. coli, Streptococcus faecalis, A. niger, C. perfringens, Campylobacter jejuni, and Aeromonas, Actinobacter, Lactobacilli species) as well as single and double-strand viruses.
It is significant to note, that in addition the common microbes found in laundry listed above, ozone/cold water systems also destroy/inactivate microbes which are not effectively destroyed/inactivated by conventional thermal washing with bleach (i.e. MRSA (methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus), Clostridium difficile (C.D.A.D. – Clostridium difficile acquired diarrhea). These organisms are totally eradicated from soiled linens during ozone/cold water laundering.
The cost saving advantages of ozone in laundry systems include the following:
- Washing is done in cold water saving energy.
- Water consumption can be reduced up to 50% saving on both water and wastewater costs.
- Ozone enhances the washing process reducing detergent usage by up to 50%.
- Ozone/cold water laundry systems are gentler to fabrics extending linen life and replacement costs.
- Wastewater BOD (biochemical oxygen demand) is reduced resulting in reduced wastewater charges.
- Washing cycles are shorter saving labor costs.
- Drying cycles are shorter saving energy and labor costs.